“Memory of the past”
The restaurant Orelli, opened in 1934 by Leo Orelli, and his wife Anselmina. They had eight children. When the oldest sisters, Livia and Pola became old enough, they worked together to run the restaurant, especially during the winter when their father went to France to sell his roasted chestnuts.
His customers at that time were the locals, who were mainly farmers. When World War II broke out in 1939, there were many military and of course the restaurant was seen compared with another great effort in Bedretto, throughout the war period lasting until 1945.
Do not underestimate that until the sixties in Bedretto there were also a dozen border guards who were regular restaurant customers
In 1960, with the death of his mother, Anselmina, the management of the restaurant was taken over by her son, Diego.
In 1980 it changed its name to the Restaurant Orelli and Locanda Diego, with the decisive help of his wife Sonia and his sister Gianna (cook). They totally changed their strategy and soon became a highly prestigious inn, which has earned the coveted awards joining the famous restaurant guides of Michelin and Gault-Millau.
After ten years of being closed, the Locanda Orelli has been renovated and brought back to an exceptional standard by Mr. Luigi Zanini who is a well-known wine merchant in Ligornetto. The management has been taken over by the well known and talented, Alessandro Manfrè (chef) and his wife Michela of Bedretto.
The new opening is planned for the month of March in 2015.
We would like to give Luigi, Alessandro and Michela our warmest wishes for success. With such success, we firmly believe to smile on these talented entrepreneurs.